POINT was established by a group of Diaspora Syrians. As an organic NGO, the co-founders of POINT realized the crucial capacity gaps and needs of the civil societies to play a greater role in improving the response to the crises, POINT provides capacity development to the local civil societies actors as well as staffs in NGOs. This is in order to strengthen their voice, increase their impact and bring about the development of a diverse, inclusive and independent civil society.
POINT provides organizational support to bridge the gaps through tailored capacity development programs and mentoring across thematic areas of interest as determined by local organizations and communities and in accordance with the focus of their activities and needs. These areas include civil society capacity assessment and capacity development in volatile security and disasters environments, ethics of humanitarian aid provision, civic education, empowerment of communities, vocational skills, In order to enhance the effectiveness of the programs we implement, we conduct quality and accountability exercises.
Through the empowerment of the organizational and individual capacity of civil society, we help local actors not only have authorship over their works but also full ownership over their projects which guarantees the appropriateness and sustainability of interventions. In addition, we support INGOs operating to achieve their strategic objectives without the need of out-sourcing international experts for complex programs delivery because of the availability of local expertise. We complement the capabilities of local organizations and supplement their own organizational capacities which makes international programs cost-effective, efficient and sustainable.
To achieve such goals, POINT has organized to hire all needed experts, skills, and tools that are necessary for the development of humanitarian and disaster management, therefore assisting in the advancement of society to the better. The founders and members of POINT worked before at multi humanitarian and development International, NGOs, institutes, and universities.
To build and develop the capacity of individuals and groups in local communities.
Encourage individuals and groups to explore and develop their abilities, provide them with necessary skills and tools to create new opportunities and have a positive impact on communities, and deepen their self-development culture.
The Trustees of POINT have prepared a strategy covering the period 2016 – 2021. This strategy will guide our work and ensure we have the maximum positive impact possible on the lives of those devastated by natural disaster, conflict, and poverty.
1- To provide civil society organizations and individuals with technical consultations and tools within the fields of management and disaster preparedness pre, during, and post recovery phase.
2- To prepare professional capacity development programs for workers in the humanitarian and development field.
3- To increase communities capacity and help them to find job opportunities by providing them with vocational education and training.
– Humanity: We believe in respecting human life and dignity, and upholding the value of human life and freedom.
– Impartiality: we believe that there are no differences between people because of their nationality, race, religion, caste, or political affiliation.
– Neutrality: We maintaining credibility by not taking a position for or against any party
– Commitment: We devote all the capabilities, resources, and tools to provide the best performance and optimal services to the all participating parties.
– Inclusive: We believe that partnerships with individuals, other organizations and communities promote creative and fruitful initiatives.
– Respect: We believe people affected by disasters can and should be empowered to contribute to relief, rehabilitation and development efforts.
– Accountability: we comply with all international humanitarian and professional standards with all parties according to Core Humanitarian Standards CHS, the international standards for quality and accountability for humanitarian work.